There’s a place in town that serves really yummy Pho Ga, but they have very odd hours (at least for the average working-person). Their hours are 9am-4pm daily, but are also open from 12am-4am (yup) Friday/Saturday. Sometimes, we would crave Pho Ga for dinner, but would have no access to it. So, I decided to make up my own. 😛
This is the cheater version of (what I believe is) the real thing. Since, I’m not Vietnamese, nor did I learn this recipe from a Vietnamese person, this is probably the fakest Pho Ga possible, but I think this is delicious! 🙂
This is my style of comfort food…add a little chili oil…and my belly is happy! 🙂
(Fake) Pho Ga (Serves 4)
1 Whole Garlic, peeled
1/2 onion (quartered)
5-6 1-inch pieces of Ginger
4-5 small pieces of Star Anise
5-6 cups chicken broth/stock
1/8 cup sugar
1/8 cup chicken bouillon
1/8 cup fish sauce
3/4-1 tsp salt
350-400g chicken, visible fat removed
12 oz fresh pho noodles
1. Soak noodles in a large bowl of very warm water until softened.
2. Heat garlic, onion, ginger, and star anise in a dry, nonstick saucepan over high heat until browned and fragrant.
3. Add in the everything else except the chicken, and bring to a boil.
4. Add in the chicken, lower heat and let simmer until chicken is fully cooked.
5. Remove chicken from broth and tear into bite-sized strips (you may need/want to let it cool a bit).
6. Place some noodles and chicken in a medium bowl and top it off with some broth and serve!