Steven has been asking me to make the 馬拉糕 for a while now. I felt that the one last time was a little bit dense, so I changed from All-Purpose Flour to Cake Flour (the original recipe just stated “Flour”), separated the egg whites from the egg yolks and whipped the whites first. It is MUCH fluffier!!! I like it much more this time!!
240g Cake Flour
60g Custard Powder
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
6 Egg Whites
6 Egg Yolks
360g Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
160g Butter, Melted
1. Sift together flour, custard powder, baking powder and baking soda, twice.
2. Whisk egg whites in large bowl until soft peaks are formed. Gradually add in brown sugar and whisk until stiff. Fold in Egg Yolks.
3. Add flour mixture 1/3 at a time, mix well after each addition. .
4. Fold butter and vanilla extract into batter, quickly. .
5. Grease and sugar-coat 9″ Springform Pan, and pour in batter.
6. Steam on high heat for 50 minutes, until cooked.