Went to Alley’s today to show them how to make the HK Style Egg Custard Tart. Alley’s mommy has lots and lots of cookbooks!!! I borrowed one with recipes for dim sum. I decided to make Steamed “Malaysia” Sponge Cake (馬拉糕) for uncle cuz he loves that stuff!!!
Steamed “Malaysia” Sponge Cake (馬拉糕)
60g custard powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
360 brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
160g butter, melted
1. Sift flour, custard powder, baking powder, and baking soda together twice.
2. Whisk eggs. Sift brown sugar in gradually, whisk until creamy.
3. Fold in flour mixture, 1/3 at a time. Let sit for 30 minutes.
4. Mix in vanilla extract and melted butter. Let sit for 10 minutes.
5. Pour mixture in a greased and sugar coated 9 inch springform pan.
6. Steam on high heat for 50 minutes, until cooked.
Tip: Make sure there is plenty of water when steaming because water shouldn’t be added halfway. If the cover is taken off, the cake will not rise properly.